- 27-Nov-2013 to 06-Mar-2014 (CST)
- 55104, MN, USA
- Full Time
Job Title: Director of Human Resources
Exemption Status: Exempt
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Location: National Office, Saint Paul, Minnesota
College Possible is helping to break the cycle of poverty for low-income families and build an educated workforce for a globally competitive economy. College Possible is a high-growth nonprofit organization, providing low-income students with an intensive curriculum of coaching and support to earn college admission and a degree. Founded in 2000, College Possible has demonstrated that its program can dramatically improve students' chances of attending and succeeding in college. To date, 98% of College Possible's students have earned college admission and nearly 80% are working toward their degree or have graduated. A 2011 Harvard study found the program to more than double a student's chance of enrolling in a four-year college or university.
College Possible has a budget of over $8 million, approximately 60 full-time regular employees, and more than 120 AmeriCorps and VISTA service members. During the 2013/2014 school year, we will serve nearly 15,000 students in 43 partner high schools and nearly 150 college campuses nationwide.
Headquartered in Saint Paul, Minnesota, College Possible currently serves students in Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Milwaukee Wisconsin, Portland Oregon, Omaha Nebraska, and college campuses nationwide. Over the next ten years, College Possible will expand to serve over 20,000 students annually in ten metropolitan areas across the country.
To learn more, please visit www.CollegePossible.org
I. Job Summary
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Director of Human Resources leads the human resources function to best service the organization's employee base in the execution of benefits, compensation, HRIS, recruiting, training and development, paid time off, performance management & evaluation, legal and compliance issues. This position will continue to foster the organization's strong culture of idealistic leaders and creating positive change to ensure equal access to higher education. This position develops and implements policies procedures and vendor relationships to ensure operational consistency and efficiency. This position will supervise a staff of three that includes: AmeriCorps & VISTA Manager, Payroll & Benefits Specialist, and a HR VISTA member.
II. Specific Responsibilities
A. Employee Relations: Answers general inquiries and provides effective coaching and guidance to resolve employee issues. Assesses issues and develops an effective plan for resolution. Keeps an active pulse on employee engagement, concerns and questions by listening and employing good judgment. Works with organizational leaders to facilitate change, lead initiatives, and manage projects such as employee surveys. Handles complex employee relations issues, documents and investigates; involves senior leaders when needed to ensure alignment in resolution.
B. Recruitment and Onboarding: Leads the recruiting function by developing creative hiring techniques to promote the company's culture and ensure cost effective strategies. Responsible for developing and implementing recruiting and sourcing strategies to promote high quality talent and improve bench strength to meet the needs of the specific position. Provides training to managers and supervisors on the guidelines of conducting an interview and negotiating offers and terms of employment. Manages recruiting contracts with outside recruitment firms and the onboarding and training process for new hires.
C. Training and Development: Recommends training and development systems for the organization and works with training professionals to provide opportunities for staff that encourage professional growth and the organization's ability to develop internal talent to support future growth and expansion. Consults with supervisors and managers on employee relations and performance management concerns to determine training and development needs.
D. Benefit Administration: Administers employee benefits for the organization serving as the primary contact for benefit vendors and brokers. Leads annual enrollment planning and communications and works with site Operations Coordinators to ensure employee education and new hire benefit communication occurs in a timely manner. Processes and manages leave of absences in accordance with state and federal laws.
E. Compensation Management: Administers compensation program for the organization. Annually updates program; rewrites job descriptions as necessary, conducts annual salary surveys, communicates compensation standards, works with managers on applying compensation program and protocols and monitors performance evaluation program to ensure compliance and equity within the organization.
F. Payroll: Supervises & reviews the timely and accurate processing of semi-monthly and bi-weekly payrolls, resolving day-to-day payroll issues, addressing all payroll-related inquiries, supporting the month-end close process, and ensuring compliance. Responsible for the supervision, monitoring and career development of the Payroll & Benefits Specialist whose responsibilities require the timely and accurate processing of all employee payments and benefits administration related to transactions involving, new hires, termination, special pay, deductions, garnishments and any other pay or benefits related modifications.
G. HR Administration and Compliance: Maintains organizational policies and procedures, updates and communicates changes to the employee handbook. Maintains accurate and timely records of employees both on computerized systems and in personnel files. Maintains knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and ensures company's compliance with government legislation pertaining to all employment matters.
III. Skills and Qualifications:
• Significant commitment to the mission of helping low-income students earn admission to college and persist toward college degree completion
• Five to seven years related experience showing progressively increasing levels of responsibility
• Experience in a supervisory or managerial role
• Strong judgment and decision-making ability with demonstrated ability to integrate organizational culture, mission and needs with human capital systems development and management
• Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS) - Practical experience with using, selecting, implementing, documenting, testing and defining business requirements with a HRIS application
• Knowledge of employment law (federal, state and local) and ability to interpret and apply laws pertaining to HR administration, recruitment and selection, employee relations, compensation, creating and maintaining a diverse workforce
• Self-starter with the ability to prioritize multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to work effectively in a team and independently, exercise sound independent judgment, solve complex problems, maintain confidentiality under difficult circumstances
• Well-developed computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills
• Strong attention to detail and eagerness to create orderly systems and processes
• Some evening and weekend work, as well as up to 10% travel
• Working knowledge of multi-state payroll and tax, including but not limited to federal, state, & local taxes
• As a leader at College Possible, the Director of Human Resources is expected to demonstrate the following leadership competencies: Centered on the Mission, Builds a Flourishing Culture, Communicates Clearly and Directly, Extends and Builds Trust, Shows Courage, Uses Evidence to Drive Results, and Develops Self and Others
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits (health, dental, life, short-term and long-term insurance, 401(k) retirement plan and generous paid time off program).
Please apply at http://collegepossiblelt.applicantpro.com/jobs/ include a resume, cover letter including salary requirements, and a list of three professional references.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts!